2019 Williams Prize
Established in 1908 by Edward H. Williams, professor of geology and mechanical engineering, the Williams Prizes, which range from $200 to $1000, recognize outstanding work in writing and performance. To be eligible for the prizes, all work submitted must have been completed in a Lehigh course or internship during the 2018-19 academic year with direct or indirect supervision by Lehigh instructors.
To enter the competition, or for more information, download the pdfs by clicking on the following two links:
Prize Ceremony -- Flier
Archive of past years' programs (downloadable pdfs), including lists of winners:
- Winners for 2019 Contest
- Winners for 2018 Contest
- Winners for 2017 Contest
- Winners for 2016 Contest
- Winners for 2015 Contest
The Kachel Prize was established by Robin and Allan B. Kachel '71 to celebrate student writing. Six awards are given each year, four by the Department of Journalism and two (those here) by the Department of English.
- 2019 creative non-fiction writing prize: Laura DeFelice, "When Norms are Thicker Than Water: The Harm of Normalizing and Priotizing Bioloigical Relationships"
- 2019 creative writing prize: Paige Pagan, "Delilah", "Long Way to Riker", "The Bronx Lexicon", "Twist of Fate"
- 2019 creative writing prize: Sarah Stankus, "Soar" Chapter 2
- 2018 creative writing prize: Max Rosenbaum, "Nice Jewish Girl"
- 2018 creative writing prize: Claire Herndon, "In the Center of Town" (poem)
- 2017 creative writing prize: Thomas Verdi, "Excerpt from White"
- 2017 creative writing prize: Phoebe de Guzman, "The Yeti"
- 2017 non-fiction writing prize: Katerina Traut, "Giving 'Substance to Freedom and Democracy': Black woman Intellectual Vicki Garvin"
- 2016 creative writing prize: Bridget Brown, "A Condensed, Comprehensive Look at My Life with Jason"
- 2016 non-fiction writing prize: Lailei Forouraghi, "John Covel: Descartes in the High Church?"
- 2015 creative writing prize: Trey Davis, "Chimney Swift"
- 2015 non-fiction writing prize: Evan Orf, "Sentimental Associations of a Sunroom"
- 2014 creative writing prize: Kylie Gray, "Old Friends"
- 2014 non-fiction writing prize: Kylie Gray, "The Anticolonial Fantasy in The Pioneers"
- 2013 creative writing prize: Kevin Wenger, "Cool Factor"
- 2013 non-fiction writing prize: Jeff Gilbert, "Smiley's A Thousand Acres and the Problem of Fear-Based Environmentalism"
- 2012 creative writing prize: Carly Potock, "Umoja? Or Our First College Party"
- 2012 non-fiction writing prize: Jacob Kennan, "Democracy in Japan: From Meiji to MacArthur"