College of Business and Economics (CBE):
All F-Y students in CBE must take English 1 to fulfill the F-Y Writing Requirement.
Those students who demonstrate proficiency in writing by taking an achievement test (see below) will get credit for English 1 (3 credits). They will be eligible to take English 11. Those students who do not demonstrate proficiency as measured by achievement tests will take English 1 to fulfill their writing requirement.
College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science (RCEAS):
All F-Y students in CAS and RCEAS must take two courses in F-Y Writing: one of these course requirements can be fulfilled by demonstrating proficiency on the basis of achievement test scores.
Those students who demonstrate proficiency (see below) will get credit for English 1 (3 credits) and will have fulfilled the first of the two required F-Y Writing courses. Those students will take English 11 to fulfill the second course requirement.
Those students who do not demonstrate proficiency on the basis of achievement test scores will take the sequence English 1 and English 2 to fulfill the two-course writing requirement.
Achievement Test Scores:
To receive credit for English 1 (3 credits), students must achieve one of the following:
- a score of 4 or higher on either of the English AP exams,
- a score of 6 or higher on all three parts of the optional SAT essay exam,
- a score of 10 or higher on the ACT Optional Writing Test,
- a score of 5 or higher on the IB test.
Exceptions and special cases:
- Students in the Eckardt Scholar Program are exempt from all CAS requirements, including FY Writing.
- Students in the IDEAS program fulfill the writing requirement by taking writing-intensive seminars in their program.
- Multi-lingual students are assessed for proficiency by the International Center for Academic and Professional English. Those who are deemed sufficiently proficient are placed in English 1 and 2; others are advised to take English 3 and 5.